The Natural Hazard Mitigation Association recommends a nine-step process to make a damaged community better prepared for the next disaster. This website provides more background information on these steps.
Note: These steps follow a logical order, but not necessarily a chronological order. Do not wait for each step to be completed before you go to the next one. Many can be done concurrently. It is recommended that you become familiar with what needs to be done for each step, assign people to implement them, and coordinate progress.
- Step 1. Know the rules
- Step 2. Adopt higher redevelopment standards
- Step 3. Commit to mitigate
- Step 4. Triage the damaged areas
- Step 5. Identify target areas
- Step 6. Involved those affected in planning
- Step 7. Keep everybody informed
- Step 8. Ensure full repairs and reconstruction
- Step 9. Mitigate to the extent possible